Monday, May 23, 2016

Great Scott

Joyce Al-Khoury as Tatyana Bakst.
A few weeks ago I sketched at a dress rehearsal for a new opera, Great Scott, by Jake Heggie and Terrence McNally. My sketches are posted on the San Diego Opera Facebook page: click here.

Great Scott is about a famous mezzo at a crossroads in her career. She's had success doing what she loves, but she's not exactly sure about where she's going. I loved it.

As San Diego Opera's official unofficial cartoonist, I've been sketching at dress rehearsals of their productions for six years now. Some of the operas they've presented I've liked, others I haven't. Great Scott I loved. It's right up my alley. A woman plumbs the depths of her soul in one scene and jumps as a human sacrifice into the crater of an erupting volcano in the next. Substance and sensationalism combined will usually grab me every time.

I'm also proud to say I've previously worked with several people in the cast. Not the stars--Kate Aldrich, Nathan Gunn, and Frederica von Stade. But chorus member Joseph Grienenberger was Musical Director of my 2014 production of The Tik-Tok Man of Oz. Chorus member Laura Bueno played Betsy Bobbin in The Tik-Tok Man of Oz. And dancer Shawn Burgess performed the Cavalier in Del Mar Ballet's 2015 production of The Nutcracker in which I played Drosselmeyer and Mother Ginger.

Copyright © 2016 Eric Shanower. All rights reserved.