Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Revisiting Matilda Joslyn Gage

A few years ago, I wrote and drew a short comics biography about Matilda Joslyn Gage, one of the foremost 19th century fighters for women's rights. My story centered around Gage's erasure from history by Susan B. Anthony. The story was published in the graphic novel Mine!, an anthology published by ComicMix as a benefit for Planned Parenthood.

On Friday, October 4, from 4 PM to 5:30 PM, I'll be at the Matilda Joslyn Gage Center in Fayetteville, New York, to sign copies of my comics and books. You see, both Gage and I have a close connection to L. Frank Baum, author of the Oz books. I've followed in Baum's footsteps for much of my life and career. Gage was Baum's mother-in-law.

So, stop by the Gage Center, 210 East Genesee Street, Fayetteville, NY 13066, on Friday to see me. The Gage Center is Matilda Gage's former home and now a museum. I've visited it before and found it an inspiring place. Here's the Gage Center website: Matilda Joslyn Gage Center

Copyright 2024 Eric Shanower. All rights reserved.